Monday 23 March 2015

COP2 - 99 Ways to Tell a Story

I recently discovered Matt Maddens, 99 Ways to Tell a Story: Exercises in Style, in which the first page depicts the main narrative with the following pages containing different portrayals in both visual and text formats. I found this book to be a huge inspiration as it helped me to generate ideas for practical through the use of both narration and perception. The different viewpoints shown through out the book are innovative and work with portraying the same narration. I felt that this format of showing the simple plot in different portrayals would work well for my initial idea, linking with the theme of my essay. The majority of Maddens work was shown in black and white compositions with a few of the pages being colour and grayscale depending on the depiction of the narrative. I was quite inspired by his 'Inking Outside of the Box' portrayal in which he shows an extension of each panel of the original plot but in humorous and bizarre ways. The examples of perspective in some of the pages helped me to consider the layout of my own boards. Using Maddens work as an influence I decided that I would first depict the original story, an outsiders view and then a passerby's portrayal of events. 

The 'Original' Story
Persons perspective
From a outsiders view

No comments:

Post a Comment