Friday 30 October 2015

COP3 Lecture: Methodology and Critical Analysis

I was quite confused with the term methodology through how it worked with the dissertation that I would be writing. Everyone seems to have their own word for the dissertation as well, such as case studies and research project, which is something I wanted to ensure that the lecture helped me to understand. The lecture explained what the methodology actually is, its the research behind the essay, what form of research you would undertake towards your writing. I found that the best form of methodology for my essay would be reading/literature reviews, interviews and keeping a sketchbook full of development towards my practical, sketch studies. For the subject I would be researching the use of statistics would not benefit my findings purely through how the method is more emotive; its all about the spectators perception on the composition. 

After the lecture I asked about synthesis, as I felt it would benefit my essay successfully with the outcomes of my practical. I was confused through how the use of 1st person would flow from 3rd person. I found that as long as the synthesis chapter is before the conclusion and is formal 1st person, so avoiding 'I think...' and 'I believe' will aid the syntax. It is all about my own personal findings.

I also asked about literature reviews, how this would work with my essay, as I knew that I would need to mention this in my introduction. I have read quite a few books already and mentioning them all would just eat up most of my word count. I found that I just need to mention key texts that have influenced me the most throughout the dissertation. To feel more confident about this, I want to scan through a few dissertations, to see how they approached the introduction and also see the structure they used for the text. 









No comments:

Post a Comment