Tuesday 25 March 2014

Cop Animation Progress and inspiration

I quickly sketched out a storyboard that consisted of zooming into the image, starting with an image that looked and appeared like an ordinary visual, but the audience see the 'bigger picture' as we zoom out to the full image. I decided to zoom out to see the waitress dealing drugs to the customer in front of her.
I wanted the story to show how a normal image is actually deceitful in which it is a well known dealing place.

Start with a normal image, someone in seen in a window of a diner and
then zoom into the image, from this we zoom into the counter with the
waitress.  Experiment with long and medium shots.

As we zoom into the waitress, we turn to see the back of her head to see the
customer she is serving...

... and we see what she is dealing him. I couldn't decide whether to draw her dealing
drugs or guns, but both have the same impact. 

I developed the idea further by gaining inspiration from secondary imagery of American diners. I found that each diner picture contained a red colour theme, with a mixture of wooden interior decor.
The seating was mixture of stools surrounding the counter and booths with tables, with the lighting directly above.

I was also inspired by Norman Rockwell's and Edward Hopper's work with their dinner inspired illustrative painted compositions. Rockwell's work portrays the figure in a realistic yet elongated and altered characteristics which make the figures seem to absorb a cartoony appeal. It was helpful to see how the figure was in relation to the stool that they were sat on, in my inspired sketches, I could not get the proportions right with the legs.



Norman Rockwell



Edward Hopper 

Norman Rockwell



From these images I sketched examples of the diner which could be used with in my animation, I considered the layout of the diner apart from the counter, and how customers would act or do in the diner. I imagined people either reading a book or eating, and drinking coffee while situated at the diner whilst this misdeed would take place.


Thought about the view of the final image, where the audience will see the
dealing of drugs or guns. I think a closer shot would work better than the long shot as
it would emphasise the impact of the misdeed. 
I feel that this image worked well as it would be a great for the first scene
of the animation through the normal view of a person at the diner.
I would then zoom into the image to show the waitress dealing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment